June Plum Jerk Chicken
by Jodi Jenny
- 1 Whole chicken cut into roughly 8 pieces (ask your butcher or have a go yourself)
- Brine (see Below)
- 2 tablespoons June Plum Jerk Paste (or more if you like it hot!)
- 4 tablespoons of June Plum All Purpose Seasoning
- Hummingbird Sauce (as much as you like)
For the Brine: 1 tablespoon each of whole pimento berries, black pepper corn and cloves, 2 bay leaves, 2 heaped tablespoons of salt and 1 litre of water. To make the brine, dissolve the salt in a small amount of boiling water with spices then add cold water.
- Put the prepared chicken in the brine and leave overnight
- Drain the chicken and pat dry then place it into a bowl for seasoning
- Add the Jerk Paste and All-Purpose Seasoning then massage it into the chicken, leave to marinate for at least two hours but preferably overnight.
- For best results smoke your chicken on a charcoal barbecue until it's 75ºC but it will still be tasty if it's cooked in the oven.
- Finish with lashings of Hummingbird Sauce!